1849–1900
1849 December 19, Henry Clay Frick is born.
1859 December 16, Adelaide Howard Childs is born.
1880 Henry Clay Frick takes his first trip to Europe.
1881 December 15, Henry Clay Frick marries Adelaide Howard Childs.
1881 Henry Clay Frick makes his first art acquisitions including: Woodland Stream by George Hetzel (1826–1889) and At the Louvre (Une Révélation) by Luis Jiménez y Aranda (1845–1928).
1882 Aug. Henry Clay Frick purchases “Homewood,” an Italianate-style home, east of Pittsburgh, built in the late 1860s, and renames it “Clayton.” Interior and exterior changes are made through 1883 under the direction of Pittsburgh architect Andrew Peebles.
1883 January 29, family moves into Clayton. The property includes a stable and a greenhouse.
1883 March 12, Childs Frick is born.
1885 Aug. 9 Martha Howard Frick is born.
1888 Sept. 3 Helen Clay Frick is born.
1891-92 Extensive interior and exterior changes are made to Clayton to expand the house, under the direction of Pittsburgh architect Frederick J. Osterling. Two floors are added and the original home is enclosed with an enlarged floor plan after the style of a Loire Valley château. As it stands today, Clayton is the result of this expansion. The porch was enclosed a number of years later.
1891 July 25 Martha Howard Frick dies after a long illness.
1892 July 1 The Homestead Steel Strike begins.
1892 July 8 Henry Clay Frick, Jr., is born.
1892 July 23 Anarchist Alexander Berkman attempts to assassinate Henry Clay Frick at his office in the Frick Building.
1892 Aug. 3 Henry Clay Frick, Jr., dies.
1897 The greenhouse is razed and a new one is built by Pittsburgh architects Alden & Harlow, who also build a Playhouse for the Frick children.
1901–1960
1902 Henry Clay Frick rents an apartment in New York City.
1902 The Frick Building at 437 Grant Street in Pittsburgh opens.
1905 The family moves to New York and rents the William H. Vanderbilt house at 640 Fifth Avenue.
1905 Childs Frick graduates from Princeton University.
1906/7 A 104-room summer home, Eagle Rock, at Prides Crossing, Massachusetts, is built under the direction of architect Arthur Little of Little and Brown, Boston.
1908 Helen Clay Frick’s début party is held at Clayton.
1911 Childs Frick departs on expedition to the Abyssinian region of Africa (present-day Ethiopia) to collect specimens which become the foundation of the African mammal collection at the Carnegie Museum of Natural History.
1911/14 Construction of New York home at 1 East 70th Street, now The Frick Collection, takes place under the direction of New York architects Carrère & Hastings.
1913 Childs Frick marries Frances Dixon. Eventually the couple settles in Roslyn, Long Island, where they raise four children, Adelaide, Frances, Martha, and Henry Clay Frick II.
1885 Henry Clay Frick begins art collecting in earnest. Much of his earlier collecting focuses on French landscape painters of the Barbizon School, including Dessous de Bois (The Forest Floor) by Théodore Rousseau (1812–1867), which hangs in the parlor in Clayton.
1914 Mr. and Mrs. Frick and Helen Clay Frick move into their new home on Fifth Avenue.
1919 December 2, Henry Clay Frick dies.
1920 Helen Clay Frick founds the Frick Art Reference Library.
1927 Helen Clay Frick establishes the Henry Clay Frick Department of the History of Art and Architecture and the fine arts library at the University of Pittsburgh.
1928 Helen Clay Frick establishes the Westmoreland-Fayette Historical Society (now West Overton Museums).
1931 Oct. 4 Adelaide Howard Childs Frick dies.
1935 The Frick Collection opens.
1950s With the idea of ultimately opening the house to the public, Helen Clay Frick begins to make  updates to Clayton’s interior and furnishings.
ca. 1955 Helen Clay Frick builds a structure on the grounds at Clayton to house the family carriages she has brought back from their summer residence, Eagle Rock. (This building is now our Education Center)
1959 After years of discussion, plans are approved for a new building at the University of Pittsburgh to house the Henry Clay Frick Department of the History of Art and Architecture along with the library and a small teaching collection.
1961–Present
1965 May 9 Childs Frick dies.
1965 Henry Clay Frick Fine Arts Building at the University of Pittsburgh is completed.
1969 Eagle Rock is demolished. Architectural elements of the home are preserved by Helen Clay Frick, including the wrought iron gates and parts of the wrought-iron fence at the Frick Art & Historical Center, and the paneling in The Frick Art Museum’s Jacobean Room.
1970 Helen Clay Frick opens The Frick Art Museum in Pittsburgh.
1984 Nov. 9 Helen Clay Frick dies.
1990 Clayton opens to the public as a historic house museum.
COLLECTING ART
Lorem ipsum 
about wedding
day here.
HOMESTEAD STEEL STRIKE
Adelaide Howard Childs is born.
Childs Frick (1883-1965)
Frick Art Reference Library.
Clay Frick dies.
Further Expanding the Site